Primavera Licensing works as follows:
- Licensed per user, requiring a license for each individual accessing the Primavera application.
- Requires licensing for indirect access in multiplex environments, such as data interfacing between Primavera P6 and third-party applications.
- Users must be licensed for all Primavera modules they access; unauthorized access to modules poses a risk.
- Restricted-use licenses allow the use of other Oracle software as part of the P6 license, subject to specific conditions.
Oracle Primavera Licensing Challenges
Oracle Primavera, known for its robust project management capabilities, also presents unique licensing challenges.
These complexities can lead to significant financial risks if not managed diligently.
We’ll outline some of the most prevalent challenges and provide insights on addressing them effectively.
- Application Users – Accurate Counting is Crucial
- Per-User Licensing: Primavera P6 operates on a per-user license basis. This means every individual accessing the application must have a license.
- Shared Usernames: In cases where usernames are shared, all users with access must be licensed. This also includes users associated with generic usernames.
- Inactive Users: If users are no longer active but not officially end-dated in the system, they still count towards licensing requirements.
- Indirect Access – Understanding Multiplex Environments
- Third-Party Integration: Primavera P6 often integrates with other applications, like SAP. This integration creates a scenario of indirect access.
- Licensing for Indirect Users: Oracle’s licensing policy stipulates that users from the integrated systems (e.g., SAP users receiving data from Primavera P6) also require licenses.
- Licensing Text Reference: The Oracle Primavera licensing manual states: “Developers and/or users who are not already licensed for the Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management program and who access applications through Access Points must be licensed for the Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management Web Services program. ‘Access Points’ includes interfaces, APIs, web services, and database links.”
- Module Assignments Without Licenses
- License Enforcement: Unlike other software, Oracle Primavera does not use serial keys, leading to potential misassignments.
- Administrative Oversight: P6 administrators might inadvertently allow users access to Primavera applications for which they are not licensed.
- Database Review for Compliance: By examining the database storing P6 administrative user information, you can align each user with their respective licensed Primavera applications, establishing a clear license position.
Auditing Primavera P6 Usage
- Oracle LMS Audit Scripts: To audit Primavera P6 usage, Oracle LMS (License Management Services) audit scripts are utilized. These scripts measure application usage.
- Questionnaires for Indirect Usage: A questionnaire complements the scripts to capture indirect usage, providing a comprehensive view of licensing compliance.
If you require assistance with managing Primavera licensing challenges or navigating an audit, professional guidance is available.
Consulting with experts can ensure compliance and mitigate the financial risks associated with Oracle Primavera licensing.
Your Primavera allows you to use other Oracle software as part of the P6 license, called a restricted-use license.
- WebLogic Server Standard Edition: only allowed to run in WebLogic Server Standard Edition instance. No other web applications may be deployed in this WebLogic Server Standard Edition instance. Restricted to only WebLogic Server Standard Edition features, not the WebLogic Server Enterprise Edition features or WebLogic Suite features. This does NOT include the use of clustering, coherence or EJBs. For example, if a customer wishes to cluster their Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management instance, that would trigger a full-use license of WebLogic Server Enterprise Edition (or WebLogic Suite for Oracle Applications).
- WebCenter Content: only valid for workspaces or folders built from Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management. Only valid for repositories that store Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management documents, artifacts and work products. Creating repositories, folders, workspaces, etc., manually outside Primavera applications will trigger full use. Only licensed Primavera application users can access the repository. For example, creating a new departmental workspace or folder would trigger a full-use license.
- Web Center: only for portals built using Primavera portlets. Not valid for adding non-Primavera portals, workspaces, etc. For example, a user who creates additional organizational or departmental portals would trigger a full-use license of Web Center. Additionally, attempts to modify Primavera portals would likewise trigger a full-use license.
- Oracle Analytics Publisher (formerly Business Intelligence Publisher): valid for users to schedule/process/run reports within the Primavera application. Any users who need to customize or create new reports will need a full-use license of Oracle Analytics Publisher (or Oracle Analytics Publisher for Oracle Applications). There is no minimum named user requirement for Oracle Analytics Publisher (formerly Business Intelligence Publisher) for Primavera applications.
- Oracle’s Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE) is only used in running Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management.
How Redress Compliance Can Help With Primavera Licensing
Expert Oracle Licensing Support at Your Fingertips
- Former Oracle License Auditors: Benefit from the insights of experienced professionals.
- Comprehensive Services:
- Accurate licensing reports.
- Specialized advice on Oracle licensing topics.
- Global Reach, Remote Delivery: Serving over 200 clients in 41 countries, all services are delivered remotely.
- Schedule a Consultation: Discuss how we can support your organization with our tailored Oracle licensing solutions.
Ready to optimize your Oracle licensing strategy?
Contact us today.