Introduction to Oracle Glassfish Licensing
Oracle has long been a leading player in enterprise software. One of its standout offerings is the Oracle GlassFish Server, a Java EE server infrastructure that’s become a go-to solution for developing and deploying Java EE applications.
This article will delve into:
- Understanding what Oracle GlassFish Server is
- Exploring the key features of Oracle GlassFish Server
- Unraveling the details of Oracle GlassFish Server licensing
What is Oracle GlassFish Server?
Oracle GlassFish Server is a Java EE server infrastructure with a rich administrative console and scripting infrastructure for developing and deploying Java EE applications.
It is available as a standalone product. When you license Oracle GlassFish Server, it includes:
- Java EE Server infrastructure
- Java SE. For details on Java SE Editions, see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/products/index.html.
- Oracle GlassFish Message Queue
- Oracle GlassFish Server HTTP load balancer plug-in
- GlassFish Server Control
- Oracle TopLink — for JPA 2.0 persistence infrastructure
- asadmin — the command line interface to the Oracle GlassFish Server
- HADB — for Oracle GlassFish 2. x releases, enabling additional quality of service support for state management
Oracle GlassFish Server is part of the Oracle Fusion Middleware application grid portfolio. It is ideally suited for applications requiring lightweight infrastructure with the most up-to-date implementation of enterprise Java, Java EE 6, and Java Web Services infrastructure.
Oracle GlassFish Server can also be managed with Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c, Oracle’s integrated enterprise information technology (IT) management product line providing the industry’s only complete, integrated, and business-driven enterprise cloud management solution.
Management of Oracle GlassFish Server with Cloud Control is separately licensed; see Oracle WebLogic Server Management Pack Enterprise Edition.
What are the features of the Oracle GlassFish Server?
Oracle GlassFish Server comes packed with a host of features designed to streamline the development and deployment of Java EE applications.
- Java EE Server Infrastructure: This is the core of the Oracle GlassFish Server, providing the necessary environment for running Java EE applications.
- Java SE: Oracle GlassFish Server includes Java SE, which provides the libraries, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), and other components necessary to run Java applications and applets.
- Oracle GlassFish Message Queue: This robust messaging service allows applications to communicate and exchange data reliably.
- Oracle GlassFish Server HTTP Load Balancer Plug-in: This feature helps distribute client requests to multiple server instances, improving the performance and availability of your applications.
- GlassFish Server Control: This provides advanced management and monitoring capabilities, helping you to control and optimize your application environment.
- Oracle TopLink: This persistence framework allows Java developers to interact with relational databases efficiently and easily.
- asadmin: This is the command-line interface to Oracle GlassFish Server, providing a way to manage your server instances.
- HADB: This high-availability database is included with Oracle GlassFish 2. x releases, providing additional support for state management.
Oracle GlassFish Licensing Metrics
Oracle GlassFish Server licensing is based on two metrics:
- Named User Plus: This is a count of installable users plus users accessing the program through third-party software.
- Processor: This is all processors where the Oracle programs are installed and/or running.
Oracle GlassFish License Costs
The cost of Oracle GlassFish Server licensing is as follows:
- Named User Plus License: $100
- Software Update License & Support for Named User Plus: $22.00
- Processor License: $5,000
- Software Update License & Support for Processor: $1,100.00
These costs are subject to change, and it’s always a good idea to check the latest pricing on the Oracle Technology Global Price List.
What is Oracle GlassFish Server?
Oracle GlassFish Server is a Java EE server infrastructure that provides a rich administrative console and scripting infrastructure for developing and deploying Java EE applications.
What are the key features of Oracle GlassFish Server?
Key features include Java EE Server infrastructure, Java SE, Oracle GlassFish Message Queue, Oracle GlassFish Server HTTP load balancer plug-in, GlassFish Server Control, Oracle TopLink, asadmin, and HADB.
What are the Oracle GlassFish Server licensing metrics?
Oracle GlassFish Server licensing is based on two metrics: Named User Plus and Processor.
What is the cost of Oracle GlassFish Server licensing?
A Named User Plus License costs $100, and the Software Update License & Support for Named User Plus is $22.00. The Processor License costs $5,000, and the Software Update License & Support for Processor is $1,100.00.
What are the licensing minimums for named user plus?
It is ten named users plus per “Oracle processor.”
How to calculate Glassfish processor requriments?
You must apply Oracle core factor table calculation.