This article deals with Oracle Database Vault Licensing. But what is this uncommon product? – Oracle Database Vault is a powerful security solution that helps businesses safeguard sensitive data.
It provides robust controls to manage access to data and applications, ensuring that only authorized users can access specific information.
However, understanding its licensing can be a complex task. This article aims to simplify Oracle Database Vault licensing, discussing its features, restrictions, and the versions it can use.
Understanding Oracle Database Vault Licensing
Oracle Database Vault is a feature of Oracle Database that provides advanced security measures. It allows businesses to control who, when, and where data and applications can be accessed, providing high security and compliance.
You need to license this product the same way as you do the enterprise edition product. The license metric and quantities must match the enterprise edition license.
Key Features of Oracle Database Vault
Oracle Database Vault comes with a host of features designed to enhance the security of your Oracle databases:
- Realms: These are protective shields around your sensitive data, preventing unauthorized access.
- Command Rules: These rules control how and when specific SQL commands can be executed.
- Factors: These are specific attributes or characteristics, such as IP address or time of day, that can be used to enhance security rules.
- Rule Sets: These are groups of rules associated with realms and command rules to provide more granular security controls.
- Secure Application Roles: These roles ensure that users can only access certain data when specific conditions are met.
- Multi-Factor Authorization: This feature adds an extra layer of security by requiring multiple conditions to be met before access is granted.
Oracle Database Vault Restrictions
While Oracle Database Vault provides robust security features, there are certain restrictions to be aware of:
- Limited to Certain Oracle Database Versions: Oracle Database Vault is available for Oracle Database Enterprise Edition (version 10.2.0.3 and later).
- Not Available for Standard Edition: Oracle Database Vault is not available for Oracle Database Standard Edition.
- Requires Separate Licensing: Oracle Database Vault requires a separate license with an additional cost.
Oracle Database Vault Licensing
Oracle Database Vault licensing is based on the number of processors used or the number of users accessing the database. Understanding your organization’s usage is important to choose the most cost-effective licensing option.
This licensing option is based on the number of processors in the server where Oracle Database Vault is installed. It’s a good option for organizations with many users and can be more cost-effective as the number of users grows.
Named User Plus Licensing
This licensing option is based on the number of users accessing the database. It’s a good option for organizations with a small number of users. However, as users increase, processor-based licensing may become more cost-effective.
- What is Oracle Database Vault? Oracle Database Vault is a security feature of Oracle Database that provides advanced controls to manage access to data and applications.
- What are the key features of Oracle Database Vault? Key features include realms, command rules, factors, rule sets, secure application roles, and multi-factor authorization.
- What restrictions are associated with Oracle Database Vault? Oracle Database Vault is only available for Oracle Database Enterprise Edition (version 10.2.0.3 and later) and requires a separate license.
- How is Oracle Database Vault licensed? Oracle Database Vault can be licensed based on the number of processors used or users accessing the database.
- What is processor-based licensing? Processor-based licensing is based on the number of processors in the server where Oracle Database Vault is installed.
- What is Named User Plus licensing? User Plus licensing is based on the number of users accessing the database.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Fredrik Filipsson possesses 20 years of experience in Oracle license management. Having worked at Oracle for 9 years, he gained an additional 11 years of expertise in Oracle license consulting projects. Fredrik has provided assistance to over 150 organizations worldwide, ranging in size and tackling various Oracle licensing challenges, including Licensing Assessments, Oracle audits, Oracle ULAs, and more.