What are the different types of Oracle support?
- Premier Support: Oracle’s foundational support with regular updates, patches, and direct 24/7 assistance.
- Extended Support: Builds on Premier, offering enhanced features and maintenance, but with some exclusions.
- Sustaining Support: Long-term support with access to pre-existing fixes and patches; lacks new updates and direct assistance.
- Oracle Third-Party Support: To reduce your fees, consider third-party support providers.
What are the different types of Oracle support?
- Objective: Provides foundational support for Oracle-integrated software.
- Maintenance & Upgrades: Regular updates, patches, and software upgrades for Oracle operating systems and VMs for ten years from their general availability date.
- 24/7 Assistance: Available round-the-clock to address technical issues.
- Operating System Upgrade Rights: Included as part of the package.
- Security & Critical Updates: Regular security alerts, updates, and critical patch updates are provided.
- Certifications: Comprehensive, including most existing Oracle products/versions and third-party products.
- Additional Features: Field change orders, system modification recommendations, and backport of fixes for Oracle Linux and Oracle VM releases are available.
- Objective: Offers enhanced support, especially for Oracle Solaris and Oracle Linux operating systems.
- Maintenance & Upgrades: Provides comprehensive maintenance solutions beyond regular updates.
- 24/7 Assistance: Remains available round-the-clock.
- Operating System Upgrade Rights: Puts businesses in control of their upgrade strategy.
- Security & Critical Updates: Continues to offer regular security alerts, updates, and critical patch updates.
- Certifications: Covers most existing Oracle and third-party products but does not include certifications with most new ones.
- Additional Features: Some offerings, like field change orders and backport of fixes, are excluded.
- Objective: Focuses on long-term support solutions.
- Maintenance & Upgrades: Provides access to pre-existing fixes and patches.
- 24/7 Assistance: Offers access to Oracle online support tools rather than direct assistance.
- Operating System Upgrade Rights: Businesses can upgrade when they deem fit.
- Security & Critical Updates: Only pre-existing security alerts and updates are provided.
- Certifications: Limited to pre-existing certifications.
- Additional Features: Primarily focuses on providing a safety net with pre-existing solutions.
Comparing Sustaining Support and Premier Support
When evaluating Oracle’s technical support levels for software, two primary tiers often come into focus: Sustaining Support and Premier Support. Both offer distinct features tailored to different business needs. Here’s a straightforward comparison of the two:
- Focus: Long-term support for businesses that have settled into their software environment and are not looking for regular updates or new features.
- Maintenance: Access to pre-existing fixes and patches. No new updates or features are introduced.
- Assistance: Provides access to Oracle online support tools. Direct 24/7 assistance is not a primary feature.
- Security: Only pre-existing security alerts and updates are available. No new security updates are provided.
- Certifications: Limited to pre-existing certifications. No new certifications or integrations are introduced.
- Upgrade Rights: Businesses can upgrade their software based only on pre-existing solutions.
- Focus: Foundational support designed for businesses that seek regular updates, patches, and new features for their software.
- Maintenance: Regular updates, patches, and software upgrades are provided, ensuring the software environment remains current.
- Assistance: Offers round-the-clock direct assistance to address any technical issues.
- Security: Regular security alerts, updates, and critical patch updates are provided, ensuring the software environment remains secure.
- Certifications: Comprehensive, covering most existing Oracle products/versions and third-party products.
- Upgrade Rights: Included as part of the package, allowing businesses to upgrade their software environment as new versions become available.
The Limitations of Sustaining Support
When considering Oracle’s technical support levels, Sustaining Support often comes under scrutiny.
While it does offer a level of support, there are several reasons businesses might find it lacking in value:
- No New Updates: One of the most significant drawbacks of Sustaining Support is the absence of new updates. In a rapidly evolving tech landscape, using outdated software can hinder a business’s ability to stay competitive.
- Lack of New Security Patches: While Sustaining Support provides access to pre-existing security alerts and updates, it doesn’t offer new security patches. This can leave software vulnerable to emerging threats, potentially compromising data integrity and business operations.
- Limited Certifications: Sustaining Support only offers pre-existing certifications. As businesses evolve and adopt new technologies or tools, the lack of new certifications can lead to compatibility issues.
- No Direct 24/7 Assistance: Unlike other support levels, Sustaining Support doesn’t prioritize direct round-the-clock assistance. This can be problematic when urgent issues arise that require immediate attention.
- Reduced Competitive Edge: In an era where businesses are driven by technology and innovation, outdated software can result in missed opportunities. Without regular updates and new features, businesses might struggle to meet customer demands or streamline operations.
- Potential Cost Implications: While on the surface, Sustaining Support might seem cost-effective, the potential risks of using outdated software, such as security breaches or system downtimes, can lead to unforeseen expenses.
While Sustaining Support offers a basic level of support, businesses looking to thrive in today’s dynamic environment might find it lacking in value and relevance.
It’s essential to weigh the pros and cons and consider the broader implications before opting for this level of support.