Oracle Primavera licensing has a few unique challenges that exposes enterprises to a substantial financial risk if not managed correctly. We are listing some of the most common licensing challenges we come across. The way to audit Primavera P6 is to use Oracle LMS audit scripts to measure how you are using Primavera as well as a questionnaire to capture indirect usage. If you need support on this, reach out to us.
Common Primavera Licensing Challenges
Application users – Not counting correctly
Primavera P6 is licensed per user, it’s individual users who are authorized to access Primavera application. You need to license every user behind a generic username. If you are sharing usernames, all users who are authorized needs to be licensed for Primavera. If you haven’t end-dated users in Primavera and they no longer require access, they will need to be covered by a license as well.
Indirect Access – Not counting users in multiplex env.
Primavera is often integrated into other applications. It may be an interface that is sending data between Primavera P6 and a third-party application such as SAP. Oracle position is the users at SAP – who are receiving data from P6 – must also be licensed. You can find this in Oracle Primavera licensing manual. Below is the licensing text:
“Developers and/or users (I) who are not already licensed for the Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management program and (ii) who access (including through Access Points) applications, must be licensed for the Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management Web Services program. “Access Points” includes, but is not limited to, third party, Oracle or custom versions of the following: interfaces, API’s, web services and database links.”
Assigning users to Primavera modules without a license
As with all Oracle software there are no serial keys. P6 administrators are often mistakenly assigning users access to Primavera applications they lack a license for. By reviewing the database where you store the P6 administrative user information, you can map each user to each Primavera application license and establish a license position.
Redress Compliance have the capability to analyse Primavera Oracle LMS audit scripts and can help you understand your financial risk associated with P6 licensing. Contact us if you believe we may be able to help your company.
Your Primavera provides you to use other Oracle software as part of the P6 license, thesse are called restricted use licenses
- WebLogic Server Standard Edition: only allowed to run in WebLogic Server Standard Edition instance. No other web applications may be deployed in this instance of WebLogic Server Standard Edition. Restricted to only WebLogic Server Standard Edition features, not the WebLogic Server Enterprise Edition features or WebLogic Suite features. This does NOT include the use of clustering, coherence or EJBs. For example, if a customer wishes to cluster their Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management instance, that would trigger a full-use license of WebLogic Server Enterprise Edition (or WebLogic Suite for Oracle Applications).
- WebCenter Content: only valid for workspaces or folders that are built from Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management. Only valid for repositories that store Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management documents, artifacts and work products. Creating any repositories, folders, workspaces, etc. manually outside of Primavera applications will trigger full-use. Only licensed Primavera application users can access the repository. For example, creating a new departmental workspace or folder would trigger a full-use license.
- Web Center: only for portals built using Primavera portlets. Not valid for adding non-Primavera portals, workspaces, etc. For example, a user who creates additional organizational or departmental portals would trigger full-use license of Web center. Additionally, attempts to modify Primavera portals would likewise trigger full-use license.
- Oracle Analytics Publisher (formerly Business Intelligence Publisher): valid for users to schedule/process/run reports within the Primavera application. Any users who need to customize or create new reports will need a full-use license of Oracle Analytics Publisher (or Oracle Analytics Publisher for Oracle Applications). There is no minimum named user requirement for Oracle Analytics Publisher (formerly Business Intelligence Publisher) for Primavera applications.
- Oracle’s Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE) is only for use in running Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management.
If you would like to be updated on Oracle licensing and recieve more tips follow us on
✔️ Follow us on LinkedIn
✔️ Subscribe to our channel on YouTube
If you need Oracle license expert help on Primavera licensing, contact us.