Peoplesoft vs Workday – Which is the best choice?
PeopleSoft and Workday are two leading Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solutions that have transformed businesses’ operations.
They offer a comprehensive suite of applications designed to automate and streamline various business processes, from human resources and finance to supply chain and customer relationship management.
However, they differ in several key aspects, so comparing these two solutions is essential for businesses investing in an ERP system.
- PeopleSoft: An Oracle product, PeopleSoft is a robust ERP solution that has been around for decades. It offers a wide range of modules that cater to various business functions, making it a popular choice among large enterprises with complex needs.
- Workday: A relatively newer player in the market, Workday is a cloud-based ERP solution known for its user-friendly interface and innovative features. Businesses often favor it for a modern, agile, and flexible ERP system.
- Introduction to PeopleSoft
- Introduction to Workday
- PeopleSoft vs Workday: A Feature Comparison
- Deployment Speed: PeopleSoft vs Workday
- User Experience: PeopleSoft vs Workday
- Market Share: PeopleSoft vs Workday
- Case Studies
- Top 5 Recommendations for Choosing Between PeopleSoft and Workday
- Ten questions you must ask
- FAQs about PeopleSoft and Workday
Introduction to PeopleSoft
PeopleSoft, now owned by Oracle, is a comprehensive ERP solution that offers a wide range of business applications. It is known for its robust functionality and flexibility, catering to various industries, including education and government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail.
Here are some key aspects of PeopleSoft:
- Features: PeopleSoft offers a broad spectrum of features across various modules, including Human Capital Management (HCM), Financial Management, Supplier Relationship Management (SRM), Enterprise Services Automation (ESA), and Supply Chain Management (SCM). These features enable businesses to manage their operations effectively and efficiently.
- Role in the ERP Landscape: PeopleSoft has been a significant player in the ERP landscape for many years. Its robust functionality and flexibility have made it a preferred choice for large enterprises with complex business processes. However, it’s worth noting that PeopleSoft requires significant resources for implementation and maintenance, which may not be feasible for smaller businesses.
Introduction to Workday
Workday is a cloud-based ERP solution that provides applications for financial management, human resources, planning, and analytics. It is known for its intuitive user interface, innovative features, and regular updates. Here are some key aspects of Workday:
- Features: Workday offers a unified suite of applications that include Human Capital Management (HCM), Financial Management, Planning, and Analytics. These applications are designed to provide real-time insights, increase business agility, and improve efficiency.
- Role in the ERP Landscape: Workday has significantly impacted the ERP landscape with its modern, cloud-based solution. It is often favored by businesses looking for a flexible and user-friendly ERP system that can adapt to changing business needs. However, while Workday is known for its innovation and agility, it may not offer the same level of depth in functionality as some of its more established competitors, such as PeopleSoft.
PeopleSoft vs Workday: A Feature Comparison
- Human Capital Management (HCM): PeopleSoft and Workday offer comprehensive HCM solutions. However, Workday’s HCM is often praised for its user-friendly interface and innovative features, such as machine learning algorithms for talent management. On the other hand, PeopleSoft’s HCM is known for its robust functionality and flexibility, catering to a wide range of industries.
- Financial Management: PeopleSoft’s Financial Management module is comprehensive and highly customizable, making it a popular choice among large enterprises with complex financial processes. While not as feature-rich as PeopleSoft’s, Workday’s Financial Management is known for its intuitive design and real-time financial insights.
- Supply Chain Management: PeopleSoft offers a robust Supply Chain Management module that covers everything from procurement to inventory management. On the other hand, Workday does not provide a dedicated Supply Chain Management module.
Deployment Speed: PeopleSoft vs Workday
Deployment speed is another critical factor to consider. PeopleSoft, a more traditional ERP solution, can take longer to implement due to its extensive customization options and complex architecture. Workday, a cloud-based solution, typically offers faster deployment times, which can be a significant advantage for businesses looking to get up and running quickly.
User Experience: PeopleSoft vs Workday
User experience is one area where Workday generally outshines PeopleSoft. Workday’s modern, intuitive interface is often cited as one of its strongest points. While robust and functional, PeopleSoft has a more traditional interface that some users may find less intuitive.
Market Share: PeopleSoft vs Workday
Regarding market share, both PeopleSoft and Workday have a significant presence in the ERP market. However, their market positions vary depending on the industry and size of the businesses they cater to. PeopleSoft has a strong presence among large enterprises, while Workday is gaining popularity among mid-sized companies and large enterprises transitioning to cloud-based solutions.
Comparison table between PeopleSoft and Workday:
|Pricing||Pricing is based on the specific modules, number of users, and other factors. Contact Oracle for a quote.||Pricing is subscription-based and depends on the number of users and the specific modules chosen. Contact Workday for a quote.|
|Reviews||PeopleSoft has mixed reviews. Some users praise its robust functionality and customizability, while others find it less user-friendly and outdated.||Workday consultants are also widely available, but the pool might be smaller because it is a newer product.|
|Availability of Consultants||There is a large pool of consultants available with PeopleSoft expertise due to its long history in the market.||Workday offers many features, including HR, finance, planning, and analytics. It’s known for its unified, cloud-based system.|
|Features||PeopleSoft has significantly improved its user interface in recent updates, but it’s generally considered less modern than Workday.||PeopleSoft offers many features and modules, including HR, finance, supply chain, etc. It’s highly customizable.|
|Deployment||PeopleSoft can be deployed on-premises or on the cloud.||Workday is a cloud-based solution.|
|User Interface||PeopleSoft has made significant improvements in its user interface in recent updates, but it’s generally considered less modern than Workday.||Workday is known for its modern, intuitive, and user-friendly interface.|
|Updates||PeopleSoft allows customers to choose when to implement updates.||Workday pushes out updates to all customers simultaneously.|
To better understand how PeopleSoft and Workday operate in real-world scenarios, it’s helpful to look at case studies.
For instance, this case study highlights how the Los Rios Community College District used PeopleSoft to streamline its operations.
On the other hand, this case study shows how Panasonic transitioned to Workday to modernize its HR and finance processes.
Top 5 Recommendations for Choosing Between PeopleSoft and Workday
When deciding between PeopleSoft and Workday, consider the following recommendations:
- Understand Your Business Needs: PeopleSoft and Workday offer robust ERP solutions that cater to different needs. PeopleSoft may be better if your organization requires extensive customization and complex processes. If you prefer a user-friendly interface and faster deployment, consider Workday.
- Consider the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO): While Workday’s subscription model may seem more affordable upfront, consider the total cost of ownership, including implementation, training, and ongoing maintenance costs.
- Evaluate the Vendor’s Roadmap: Look at Oracle’s and Workday’s product roadmaps. Are they investing in areas that align with your business needs and future growth?
- Check Vendor Support: Both Oracle (PeopleSoft) and Workday offer support, but the level and quality of support can vary. Check their support terms and customer reviews.
- Consult with a Third-Party Expert: Consult an independent ERP consultant who can provide unbiased advice based on your business needs and industry.
Ten questions you must ask
- What are your organization’s specific needs? This is the most fundamental question. Your organization’s unique needs should guide the choice between PeopleSoft and Workday. Do you need a highly customizable system (PeopleSoft) or a unified, user-friendly system (Workday)?
- What is your budget? PeopleSoft and Workday pricing depends on various factors, such as the number of users and the modules chosen. It’s essential to get a quote from both vendors to compare costs.
- What is your preferred deployment model? PeopleSoft might be a better choice if your organization prefers an on-premises solution. If you prefer a cloud-based solution, both PeopleSoft and Workday offer this, but Workday is entirely cloud-based.
- How important is the user experience to your organization? If a modern, intuitive user interface is a priority, Workday is often praised for its user-friendly design.
- What is your timeline for deployment? Deployment speed can vary between the two systems. Discussing this with the vendors is important to ensure their solution fits your timeline.
- How often do you want to update your system? PeopleSoft allows customers to choose when to implement updates, while Workday simultaneously pushes out updates to all customers. Consider your organization’s preference for managing updates.
- What kind of support and training resources are available? Both vendors offer support and training, but the specifics can vary. Consider what level of support your organization will need for the implementation and ongoing management of the system.
- What are the long-term plans for the product? It’s essential to understand the vendor’s roadmap for the development. This can give you an idea of how the product will evolve and whether it aligns with your organization’s plans.
- What integrations are available? PeopleSoft and Workday can integrate with other systems, but the specifics vary. Consider what other systems you currently use or plan to use.
- What do other customers say? Reviews from other customers can provide valuable insights into the strengths and weaknesses of each system. Consider looking at reviews from organizations similar to yours.
FAQs about PeopleSoft and Workday
Is PeopleSoft or Workday more user-friendly?
Generally, Workday is considered more user-friendly due to its modern, intuitive interface. However, recent updates have significantly improved PeopleSoft’s user interface.
Which is more customizable, PeopleSoft or Workday?
PeopleSoft is known for its high level of customizability, which can be a significant advantage for organizations with complex processes.
How do PeopleSoft and Workday handle updates?
Workday pushes out updates to all customers simultaneously, while PeopleSoft allows customers to choose when to implement updates.
Which is better for large enterprises, PeopleSoft or Workday?
Both solutions cater to large enterprises, but the best choice depends on the organization’s needs.
Choosing between PeopleSoft and Workday depends on your organization’s needs, budget, and long-term goals.
Both offer robust ERP solutions, but they excel in different areas. By understanding your requirements and considering factors like user experience, customizability, cost, and vendor support, you can make an informed decision that best suits your organization.