Oracle WebLogic licenses covering Weblogic products, which is is the main application server that Oracle uses both as a standalone product, but it is also included as a WebLogic Basic version for many other products. Oracle WLS comes in Standard and Enterprise editions. There is also a Weblogic Suite which includes the Enterprise Edition server of Weblogic as well as add-on options. For example if you want to run Oracle SOA Suite you must license Weblogic Suite. This article deals with the licensing of Oracle WLS products plus other products such as Oracle Coherence, Oracle SOA and Oracle Internet Application server.
If you’re in the market for an application server, you’ve probably heard of Oracle WebLogic Server, which is a Java EE platform. Although it was originally developed by BEA Systems, Oracle now owns the technology. Among its major uses, WebLogic Server is using to develop, deploy, and manage Java EE applications. To learn more about WebLogic, read on. We’ve gathered some of the most important details about this application server.
To install and use Oracle Weblogic you need to obtain a software license to cover your installed software package. After installing the Oracle middleware package you can use Weblogic without requirement for any license keys. There are 3 different editions, that is Weblogic Basic, Weblogic Standard, and Weblogic Enterprise Edition. The higher editions contain more features but has a higher licensing price as well. Oracle Weblogic Basic cannot be purchased independently, but is part of other software licenses that you can purchase from Oracle.
• The WebLogic Server Basic license includes usage rights, with the limitations summarized in Table A-1, to the following WebLogic Server features:
• Core WebLogic application server
• Java EE 5/EJB 3.0
• WebLogic Server management tools, including the Administration Console and WebLogic Scripting Tool
• WebLogic JDBC Drivers, WebLogic Server Clients, and WebLogic and Apache Web Server Plug-Ins
• Basic JMS messaging, deployment, and high availability functionality
• Streamlined storing of important objects to data stores, available to all Java applications and a core component of EJB 3.0
Weblogic licensing is different depending on what edition you are running. Weblogic Basic is not available to purchase, it is a restricted use license that ships with other Oracle products. Weblogic Standard Edition is licensed per occupied CPU socket, and it is licensed 10-user minimums per processor. For example if you run WLS SE on a server with 2 processors (you do not count cores) you need 2-processor licenses of Weblogic Standard Edition, or 10 users per processor (20 user licenses) if you have less than 20 users on the application.
Weblogic licensing for Enterprise Edition is based upon Oracle’s core factor table calculation. You can read about this here.
The cost of Oracle Weblogic licenses (processor)
• Oracle Weblogic Standard Edition – $ 10,000 per processor license (do not count cores)
• Oracle Weblogic Enterprise Edition – $ 25,000 per processor license (count cores)
• Oracle Weblogic Suite license – $ 45,000 per processor license (count cores)
The cost of Oracle Weblogic licenses (user based)
• Oracle Weblogic Standard Edition – $ 200 per user (10 users minimum per processor)
• Oracle Weblogic Enterprise Edition – $ 500 per user (10 user minimums per processor, count cores)
• Oracle Weblogic Suite license – $ 900 per user (10 user minimums per processor, count cores)
WebLogic Basic is a software component from Oracle, a license cannot be purchased individually as Weblogic Basic is part of existing Oracle middleware products. Many enterprises use different software asset management tools and they show Weblogic installed, but the software asset management tool is often incorrectly reading which version of WebLogic that you need to license.
• WLS basic cannot be found in Oracle price list.
• WLS restricted & limited version that are part of another licensable product.
Oracle Internet Application Server, Standard Edition
Oracle Internet Application Server Standard Edition One
Oracle Internet Application Server Enterprise Edition
Oracle Forms and Reports
Oracle Business Intelligence Standard Edition.
If you have any of above Oracle licenses, you also have the right to run the basic version of WLS. However, you can only use the WLS basic version to run certain components that are part of the above list of products.
The Oracle Internet Application Server comes in several different editions and is licensed separately for the various installation types. The standard edition does not include Oracle Forms, Reports, and Discoverer. Other stand-alone components of Oracle IAS require separate licenses.
• Oracle Internet Application Server Standard Edition – processor socket based
• Oracle Internet Application Server Enterprise Edition – core-based licensing
The two application servers have similar characteristics, including multiple deployment options and compatibility with existing and emerging standards. Both are standards-compliant and provide support for a variety of web content generation methods, including Java servlets and Perl. Oracle Internet Application Server also offers a management-web site to monitor and manage your deployment.
Weblogic licensing for Enterprise Edition is based upon Oracle’s core factor table calculation. You can read about this here.
If you are planning to build a large enterprise application that will serve thousands of users, you might be wondering: What is Weblogic Suite? This software provides the functionality to develop and run enterprise applications on a single platform. Weblogic requires large amounts of RAM to run effectively. While Apache and Jboss run on 300 megabytes of RAM, Weblogic requires at least 3GB. For a small enterprise application, Tomcat may be sufficient.
The Oracle Weblogic server implements the Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) specification and the Oracle Technology Network for Java Developers (OTN). J2EE is a standard platform for multi-tier Enterprise applications and was developed collaboratively by Sun Microsystems and other software vendors. Tomcat, on the other hand, is free software and adheres to the servlet specification. If you’re looking for a high-performance server, you might want to invest in Weblogic.
Weblogic Suite is a pre-requisite product if you want to use Oracle SOA, you need to also purchase a Weblogic Suite license to be correctly licensed.
In-memory data grid solutions like Oracle Coherence help organizations scale mission-critical applications with predictability and speed. These solutions are perfect for event-driven systems, such as websites, and can eliminate the need for other data stores. With over 70 percent of customers in the U.S. and Europe, Coherence is a proven choice for organizations that require high performance and predictable scalability. However, this product does require a large infrastructure and requires a development team to be constantly incorporating new versions.
Both GridGain and Oracle Coherence provide rich querying capabilities and a consistent data model. Both databases support SQL query syntax, and query APIs are easily translated. For instance, GridGain supports SQL query syntax, while Coherence has an entry processor API based on Java predicates. It is important to know which platform you are going to choose based on its database. Listed below are some of the most common uses for the Coherence data model.
What is Oracle SOA suite? It is a complete software suite that enables service-oriented development, integration, and orchestration of enterprise applications. The suite is designed to support incremental SOA adoption. Oracle SOA Suite contains several components that are commonly used together to manage composites. These components offer end-to-end security and centralized management and monitoring of SOA-related assets. Its benefits are extensive and will help businesses reduce their total cost of ownership and improve their business processes.
Oracle SOA suite provides support for Decision components. Decision components publish rules as reusable services that can be invoked by various business processes. Users can change the rules without re-deploying code. The platform also supports a variety of decision-making and business rules. The suite also provides security and governance services. With these components, enterprises can build better integration and reduce the risk of failure.
• WebLogic Standard Edition
• WebLogic Enterprise Edition
• WebLogic Standard Edition does not have clustering functionality.
• WebLogic Enterprise Edition allows you to use OEM Diagnostic pack for Oracle Middleware
• WebLogic Enterprise Edition is required to run additional licensable features such as
• Coherence and WebLogic Management Pack
• WebLogic Enterprise Edition includes Oracle Java SE advanced for both server and clients.
• WebLogic SE is licensed per occupied socket
• WebLogic EE is licensed per core and using Oracle core factor table.
• WebLogic SE has a 10 Named User Plus Per processor (not counting cores)
• WebLogic EE you calculate 10 Named User per Oracle processor (calculate cores and use Oracle core factor table to get the correct number of processors.
Oracle WebLogic Suite is Oracle WLS Enterprise Edition functionality plus the functionality listed below.
• Oracle Coherence Enterprise Edition
• Oracle Forms, Reports, Portal, and Discoverer.
• Oracle OEM Management pack for Coherence.
• Oracle Java SE Suite for both server and clients.
• It is core-based licensing, you need count the number of physical cores in the server, then multiply it with Oracle Core Factor..
• Licensing user minimums if licensing Oracle WebLogic with Named User Plus is 10 users per Oracle processor.
• You can upgrade Oracle WebLogic Standard Edition licenses to WLS Enterprise, and you can upgrade Enterprise to WebLogic Suite
• Oracle customers are using Cluster support that would trigger Enterprise Licenses but are only licensed for WebLogic Standard Edition.
• Oracle customers who are using Oracle WebLogic Basic (restricted use license part of other Oracle products) beyond their license grants.
• Oracle customers mis-calculating Oracle licensing on core factors or licensing minimums.
• Customers who have installed the wrong version of Oracle WebLogic and then need to license a more expensive version
• Oracle WLS editions include Java SE Advanced licenses, but Java is only allowed to run WLS based applications, not third-party Java applications.
• If you have included Weblogic into your Oracle ULA – that often causes compliance issues.
Morten talks about about how to license Oracle Weblogic and shares 5 important considerations for licensing Oracle WLS
00:00 Introduction, Oracle Middleware licensing shares the same licensing rules as Oracle database, core or CPU licensing. But there are no HW restrictions.
00:35 Licensing Oracle Internet Application Server and WLS server and Suite
01:10 Licensing minimums for Weblogic Server
01:48 Hardware restrictions for licensing Weblogic (licensing)
02:03 Licensing minimums for Internet Application Server
02:30 Hardware restrictions for Internet Application Server (licensing)
02:55 What are the differences between WLS SE and EE and Suite?
03:50 5 important licensing considerations when it comes to Oracle Weblogic licensing.
Now we’re going to go into Middleware Licensing. And as I said, this is going to be fairly easy because you already got all the basics. Fredrik went into all the basics and Middleware Licensing is somewhat simpler than Database Licensing. It basically shares the same licensing rules, so core licensing, but without the limitations between the different versions of the Middleware components. So when we talk about Middleware Products, mostly, or the most commonly used products are Oracle Internet Application Server and Oracle WebLogic Server. Then we have Standard and Enterprise Edition. We also have WebLogic Suite, which is the Enterprise Edition, and some options. Licensing can be done by CPU or NUPs. So again, you’re using the exact same metrics to license as in the case of the database. And we also counting the cores for Enterprise Socket products and for Sockets for the Standard Edition.
So it really mirrors the way that you are licensing the database. In terms of licensing minimums for WebLogic Standard Edition is a 10 Named User Per processor. For WebLogic Server Enterprises Edition, it’s 10 NUPs per processor, and we have the same core licensing as under the Oracle Database. So you need to count the cores, you need to apply your core factor depending on the CPUs that you are using. WebLogic Suite, 10 Named User Plus per processor, core licensing is the same as for Oracle Database Enterprise Edition. In terms of hardware restriction, there is none. So there is no restriction costs for different versions. That’s nice, you don’t have to worry about those. It’s not like if you’re moving up with a Standard Edition or something like that. For the Internet Application Server, licensing minimums for the Java Edition, it’s 10 NUPs per processor for the Internet Application Server Standard Edition.
So Java Edition and Standard Edition, it’s 10 Named User per processor and Licensing again, it’s just like in the case of the database. For the Enterprise Edition, it’s 10 Named User Plus per processor, and Licensing is also the same as Oracle Database. And again, we have no hardware restrictions. You can go as far and as wide as you will. This is a much more free licensing compared to jumping between the Oracle different versions of the database that you have all the restrictions. You don’t have it here. And here, just to give you somewhat of an idea of what’s going on with the Standard Edition versions, the Enterprise Edition, and the WebLogic Suite. So here you can see the different products that is included on the Standard Edition. As you move up into the Enterprise Edition, what you’re getting of covered technologies is basically clustering technologies, which is a important part as you move up the ladder.
And when you move up to the Suite, you get everything that you got with the Standard Edition and the Enterprise Edition, and then you get into the Coherence territory. And one thing to consider is that WebLogic Suite is a prereq for SOA. So, if you go into these fairly advanced environments, you’ll have to go full scale on the Suite before you can get into that part. So if you are using clustering, so any clustering with WebLogic, you need to go Enterprise Edition or Suite Edition. So that’s really where it differentiates. If you are installing Oracle Middleware, choose the custom installer and not the standard installer. If you choose standard, you may install products that you don’t have a license for. SOA Suite, BPEL, all these are prereq, so you need that. If you need that, you need also to license WebLogic Suite. Some Oracle products ship with WebLogic Basic. So The free versions, but it’s only to be used for specific Oracle products.
And then of course you have Oracle ERP. So E-Business Suite, which would need WebLogic and also Internet Application, or either Internet Application Server, or WebLogic Enterprise Edition. So that comes bundled with Enterprise. And it’s a common compliance problem that clients need to go full use on E-Business Suite for the technology. Here are some of the licensing resources. I do believe that Frederick already shared with us, but these are good resources if you need to go and research yourself. You certainly will working with Oracle Licensing, there’s going to be a lot of researching on your own. This at least gives you some idea of where you can go to get additional information.
Understand what cloud products you need to purchase, if you are an existing Oracle EBS customer, we can help you map your current on-premises usage with the right cloud services.
Redress can help you design the cloud agreement making sure that you minimize any waste as you implement Oracle HCM.
If you have an Oracle license audit and Oracle asks you to run the scripts our team can help you analyze the scripts before you share them with Oracle. The same goes for any other Oracle licensing situation which could be internal Oracle license review of Oracle ULA Certification, where you want to run the Oracle LMS scripts or License Compliance Scripts. If you are interested to know more about our Oracle license consulting services, contact us to schedule a meeting.