When considering a migration from Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) to other platforms, you have several options:
- Migrate to Oracle Fusion (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure – OCI):
- Integrated with Oracle’s ecosystem.
- Seamless transition for Oracle EBS customers.
- Offers cloud-based benefits like scalability and innovation.
- Migrate to Microsoft Azure:
- Provides robust infrastructure and a wide range of cloud services.
- Potential for integration with other Microsoft products and services.
- Offers flexibility and scalability.
- Migrate to Amazon Web Services (AWS):
- Known for extensive global infrastructure.
- Offers a wide array of services and tools for cloud computing.
- It can be cost-effective and offers scalability.
Each option has unique advantages and may suit different organizational needs based on existing infrastructure, budget, and long-term IT strategy.
- Oracle EBS to Fusion or on OCI or AWS and Azure
- EBS on Oracle Cloud (OCI)
- Four Mistakes to Avoid when Migrating to Cloud
- Expert Oracle Licensing Support at Your Fingertips
Oracle EBS to Fusion or on OCI or AWS and Azure
Many companies running Oracle EBS are now looking to migrate to Cloud. The main driver is that premier support for 12.1 expired in Dec 2021.
Oracle customers either need to migrate to 12.2 or jump to Oracle Fusion. This article will deal with different options such as Oracle Fusion, or on AWS and or Azure.
Oracle’s premier support for EBS 12.2 ends in 2030.
- Migrate to 12.2 and run it on-premises
- Migrate to 12.2 and run it in AWS/Azure
- Migrate to 12.2 and run it on Oracle OCI.
- Stay on 12.1 and run it as you do today, with less support from Oracle.
- Migrate to Oracle Fusion. (ERP cloud)
EBS on Oracle Cloud (OCI)
From a license management perspective, running EBS on Azure or AWS has only one benefit.
- You can license the technology products per vCPU, which provides licensing optimization compared to running Oracle EBS and technology on-premise.
- There is no SaaS offering available from AWS or Azure.
Oracle ERP migration to the cloud
Oracle E-business suite on the cloud is to migrate to Oracle Fusion. The benefits are:
- You take advantage of Oracle updates/upgrade schedules.
- Oracle Fusion is only available with Oracle Cloud.
- No licenses for technology products in Oracle Cloud, as you purchase Oracle Universal Cloud credits for computing, database, and middleware.
How to migrate E-business suite to Fusion
- You need to conduct an Oracle licensing review to understand what you are using in your on-prem environment. You mistakenly believe you are compliant and will simply match your license to Oracle Cloud services.
- Once you have a complete understanding of your licensing position, then you can evaluate if you need all the products that you are using today. Last, you map them to the appropriate Oracle Fusion Cloud service.
- Once the mapping is complete, you negotiate with Oracle about pricing and services start. Remember that pricing is not as important as it was for licenses for on-premise. Price is still important, but flexibility in using the cloud spend is equally important.
Four Mistakes to Avoid when Migrating to Cloud
- If you move to Oracle Fusion, it’s highly recommended that you review your Oracle on-premises licensing first. Too many companies take what they have on-premises and purchase like-for-like in Fusion. Then, a few years later, they realized they needed to purchase more cloud services than they initially expected.
- By reviewing your licenses, you can determine if you need to purchase the cloud services, as often, many of the licenses required are not necessarily something you want to purchase Oracle Fusion cloud licenses for.
- Oracle HCM Licensing works very similar to how you license an E-business suite on-premise, which means you can have the same Oracle compliance issues in Oracle HCM as you have on-premises
- Oracle also has a transition program that allows you to shelve unused licenses when transitioning to Oracle Fusion. However, if you are found to be non-compliant, you must purchase more licenses, and your whole shelving program is terminated.
- If you decline Oracle Fusion offers and move to AWS or Azure, you must review your licensing to ensure you are ready for the Oracle audit.
Migrate Oracle E-business to Oracle OCI
This option is when you deploy your software licenses on Oracle OCI, using the licensing advantages for technology, database, and middleware.
The savings are primarily made on the technology licenses and lowering the costs associated with the e-business suite.
Benefits of running Oracle EBS on OCI
- As Oracle Cloud allows you to license per OCPU, you will likely be able to optimize and reduce the requirement for Oracle database and middleware licenses.
- If you bring your own license to Oracle Cloud, you can use diagnostic and tuning pack licenses for free to manage your Oracle databases.
- You do not need to consider Oracle licensing around virtualization if you run Oracle ERP on OCI.
- You can purchase more CPU power from Oracle for peak usage times.
Expert Oracle Licensing Support at Your Fingertips
- Former Oracle License Auditors: Benefit from the insights of experienced professionals.
- Comprehensive Services:
- Accurate licensing reports.
- Specialized advice on Oracle licensing topics.
- Global Reach, Remote Delivery: Serving over 200 clients in 41 countries, all services are delivered remotely.
- Schedule a Consultation: Discuss how we can support your organization with our tailored Oracle licensing solutions.
Ready to optimize your Oracle licensing strategy?
Contact us today.