If you are an Oracle EBS customer and are considering Oracle EBS to Fusion, or to run on AWS or on Azure, this article is for you. We deal with the benefits from a licensing and contractual view points. Oracle E-business suite is a set of applications that provide solutions in ERP, Supply management and Human resources.
Oracle EBS is one of the most adopted ERP applications and runs on Oracle database and Oracle application servers. Oracle customers have often done extensive customizations and integrations, which makes the transition to an Oracle Cloud based solutions a challenge.
Oracle Fusion is also known as Oracle ERP Cloud and contains modules for CRM, Supply Chain, Project Portfolio Management, HCM, Financials and GRC. Customers can choose to use only one or several of the modules. It’s available to run both in Oracle Cloud and in their own data center. The other alternatives is to take Oracle E-business suite to AWS or Azure.
Oracle EBS to Fusion or on OCI or on AWS and Azure
Many companies who are running Oracle EBS are now looking to migrate to Cloud. The main driver is that premier support for 12.1 expired in Dec 2021. Oracle customers either need to migrate to 12.2 or make the jump to Oracle Fusion. This article will deal with different options such as Oracle Fusion, or on AWS and or Azure.
Oracle premier support for EBS 12.2 ends in 2030.
- Migrate to 12.2 and run it on-premises
- Migrate to 12.2 and run it in AWS/Azure
- Migrate to 12.2 and run it on Oracle OCI.
- Stay on 12.1 run it as you to today, with less support from Oracle.
- Migrate to Oracle Fusion. (ERP cloud)
EBS on Oracle Cloud (OCI)
There is only 1 benefit of running EBS on Azure or AWS from a license management perspective.
- You can license the technology products per vCPU, which provides licensing optimization compared to running Oracle EBS and technology on-premise.
- There is no SaaS offering available from AWS or Azure.
Oracle ERP migration to cloud
Oracle E-business suite on cloud is to migrate to Oracle Fusion. The benefits are:
- You take advantage of Oracle updates/upgrade schedule.
- Oracle Fusion is only available with Oracle Cloud.
- No licenses for technology products in Oracle cloud, as you purchase Oracle Universal Cloud credits for compute, database, and middleware.
How to migrate E-business suite to Fusion
- You need to conduct an Oracle licensing review, to understand what you are using in your on prem environment. You are making mistake to believe that you are compliant and are simply going to match your license to Oracle Cloud services.
- Once you have a full understanding of your licensing position, then you can evaluate if you need all the products that you are using today. Last, you map them to the appropriate Oracle Fusion Cloud service.
- Once the mapping is complete, you negotiate with Oracle about pricing and services start. Remember that pricing is not as important as it was for licenses for on premise. Price is still important but flexibility in how you can use the cloud spend is equally important.
Four Mistakes to avoid when migrating to Cloud
- If you move to Oracle fusion, it’s highly recommended that you review your Oracle on premises licensing first. Too many companies simply take what they have on-premises and purchase like-for-like in Fusion. Then a few years later they realize they need to purchase much more cloud services than they initially expected.
- By reviewing your licenses you can determine if you need to purchase the cloud services, as often much of the licenses required are not necessarily something you want to purchase Oracle Fusion cloud licenses for.
- Oracle HCM Licensing works very similar to how you license E-business suite on premise, which means you can have the same Oracle compliance issues in Oracle HCM as you have on premises
- Oracle also have a transition program where they allow you to shelve unused licenses when transitioning to Oracle Fusion. However, if you are found to be non-compliant you are required to purchase more licenses and your whole shelving program is terminated.
- If you decline Oracle Fusion offers and move to AWS or Azure, you need to review your licensing to make sure you are ready for the Oracle audit.
Migrate Oracle E-business to Oracle OCI
This option is when you are taking your existing software licenses and are deploying this on Oracle OCI and taking advantage of the licensing advantages for technology, database, and middleware. The savings are primarily done on the technology licenses and lowering the costs associated with E-business suite.
Benefits of running Oracle EBS on OCI
- As Oracle cloud allows you to license per OCPU it’s very likely that you will be able to optimize and reduce the requirement for Oracle database and middleware licenses.
- If you bring your own license to Oracle Cloud, you will get the ability to use diagnostic and tuning pack licenses for free to manage your Oracle databases.
- You do not need to think about Oracle licensing around virtualization if you run Oracle ERP on OCI.
- You can purchase more CPU power from Oracle for peak usage times.
How Redress Compliance Can Help with Oracle EBS
- Oracle EBS licensing assessment: We conduct a thorough review of your current Oracle EBS licenses to ensure compliance and identify potential risks or gaps.
- Correct Oracle Fusion Cloud services: Our team will help you select the appropriate Oracle Fusion Cloud services based on your organization’s needs, ensuring a seamless transition from Oracle EBS to the cloud.
- Licensing and cloud agreement support: We provide guidance and assistance in negotiating and managing your Oracle cloud and licensing agreements, ensuring you get the best possible terms and conditions.
- Compliance management: We help you maintain compliance with Oracle licensing requirements and avoid potential issues in the future.