Oracle compliance is based upon Oracle license entitlements to cover what you use and have deployed in terms of Oracle software. Oracle customers do own the Oracle software that they install on their servers, but simply have the right to use Oracle software. That usage right is another name for an Oracle license. The Oracle license agreement describes which companies can use the Oracle software, how you can use it and for how long.
Oracle Compliance – And why you should care
How much does an Oracle license cost?
- Oracle Database Enterprise Edition License is 47,500 $ per processor which is based upon the number of cores you have in your server. If you license per user, the price is 950 $ per user.Licenses are perpetual and there is an 22% annual technical support fee that allows you to freely update to new versions without any additional fees.
- There are also 18 additional licenses that cover Oracle Database enterprise edition features. You can find the price for them on Oracle technology price list. Those products must have the same license metric, processor or named user plus as the database enterprise edition. The quantities must also match the database license.
- Oracle Database Standard Edition 2 is licensed per occupied CPU socket and the price is 17,500 $ a one-time license fee. Then 22% in technical support fees every year.
- Oracle WebLogic Standard Edition costs 10,000 $ one-time license fee and is licensed per occupied processor socket.
- Oracle WebLogic Enterprise Edition is core-based licensing and costs 25,000 $ per processor license.
All Oracle software products have 22% annual technical support fees attached to any license purchase.
What is an Oracle audit
Now that we know how expensive it can be to license a single server running Oracle Software, we now understand why companies fear Oracle audits? Oracle is one of software vendors who are most active when it comes to auditing its customers. An Oracle audit is when Oracle selects one of its customers for a software license audit to review if they are compliant with their Oracle licenses. Oracle knows that it is very difficult for its customers to stay Oracle compliant with their software licenses. Oracle licensing rules and policies can be difficult to interpret for someone who is not familiar with Oracle license management.
Oracle Compliance – How do you succeed
- Even large companies who have internal software asset management teams taking care Oracle uses external expertise, you should also get help from an Oracle licensing expert.
- Do not trust SAM tooling at all when it comes to Oracle Compliance. At best you can get it right 80% – but those missing 20% can be worth 10m $ in penalties if you are audited by Oracle.
- Do annual health check-ups on your Oracle Compliance. One of the benefits of using external Oracle licensing consultants is that you get a set of fresh eyes on your Oracle licensing with is another validation that you are compliant with Oracle.
- Don’t work with generic software asset management providers, they don’t have the expertise to help you with Oracle. Find someone who is dedicated to Oracle licensing.
- If you enter an Oracle ULA agreement, you need to manage it properly. The most common reason why companies renew is because they find they are out of compliance with their agreement.
If you would like to be updated on Oracle licensing and receive more tips, follow us on
✔️ Follow us on LinkedIn
✔️ Subscribe to our channel on YouTube
Redress Compliance is the only company in the market that is independent to provide advice on Oracle licensing and Cloud. We are ex-Oracle employees who can make sure you are Oracle Compliant with your software licenses. Contact us to discuss how we can help your company.