Today we’ll be looking at BEA Weblogix Licensing and how you can use your legacy licenses today.
In January 2008, Oracle Corporation announced its acquisition of BEA Systems. A leading provider of enterprise infrastructure software for approximately $8.5 billion.
This acquisition was completed in April 2008. Oracle quickly migrated BEA products with its portfolio.
The new products that appeared on the Oracle price list were Weblogic Server products.
However, BEA customers who bought BEA products can still use these licenses to cover Oracle Weblogic products and license old BEA installations. The BEA products can be measured using Oracle LMS Scripts.
BEA Weblogix Licensing Products
- WebLogic Server was BEA’s flagship product and one of the first Java-based application servers. It provided a robust, scalable, and secure platform for developing, deploying, and managing enterprise applications.
- WebLogic Integration: This product enabled businesses to integrate their existing systems and applications, facilitating seamless data exchange and streamlining business processes.
- WebLogic Portal: A comprehensive portal framework, WebLogic Portal allows organizations to create, manage, and deliver personalized web experiences for their users.
- Tuxedo: Acquired by BEA in 1996, Tuxedo was a middleware platform that facilitated the development, deployment, and management of distributed transaction processing systems.
- AquaLogic: A suite of products aimed at simplifying the implementation of service-oriented architectures (SOA), AquaLogic includes tools for service creation, orchestration, security, and management.
BEA WebLogic Licensing Editions
BEA offered a range of licensing options for its WebLogic Server products, allowing organizations to choose the edition that best meets their specific requirements.
- WebLogic Server Premium Edition
The Premium Edition of WebLogic Server delivers comprehensive features, including support for the core Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) Version 5. It offers premium clustering, caching, and messaging capabilities, allowing businesses to leverage the full functionality of WebLogic Server.
- WebLogic Server Advantage Edition
This edition includes support for the core Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) Version 5, enabling businesses to access essential WebLogic Server features. However, it does not provide the premium clustering, caching, and messaging capabilities in the Premium Edition.
- WebLogic Workgroup Edition
The Workgroup Edition offers the same features as the Advantage Edition but is designed for smaller organizations with up to 20 concurrent users.
- WebLogic Express Premium Edition
WebLogic Express Premium Edition provides a more streamlined set of services and APIs, including WebLogic JDBC, JavaServer Pages (JSP), servlets, Remote Method Invocation (RMI), and Web server functionality. It does not support Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB), Java Message Services (JMS), Java EE CA, or the 2-phase commit protocol for transactions. However, it does include premium clustering support.
- WebLogic Express Base Edition
The Base Edition of WebLogic Express offers the same functionality as the Premium Edition but without the inclusion of premium clustering support.
- WebLogic Server Process Edition
The Process Edition extends the capabilities of WebLogic Server by integrating custom application development with Business Process Management (BPM). This allows for the rapid development of service-oriented applications, service-enabling existing resources, creating composite services using process-driven development, and extending these composite services for interaction with other applications and technologies.
Using BEA Weblogic Licensing for Oracle Weblogic Licensing
- For BEA licenses and WLS licensing, the ratio between the CPU and PROC is 1:1.
- BEA WebLogic Server Advantage Edition licenses can be assigned for WebLogic Standard products
- BEA WebLogic Server Premium Edition licenses can be assigned for WebLogic Enterprise Edition products.
Restrictions and Limitations of Various BEA WebLogic Server Editions
There are different editions of BEA WebLogic Server, each with its unique limitations and usage restrictions. Here is an overview of these restrictions for specific editions:
- BEA WebLogic Server Advantage Edition does not include WebLogic Server Clustering.
- BEA WebLogic Server Mid-Market Edition can only be licensed on servers with a maximum capacity of 2 CPUs and does not include WebLogic Server Clustering.
- BEA WebLogic Server Process Edition does not include message brokering, human workflow, or B2B capabilities.
- The BEA WebLogic Server SDK program is limited to 5 concurrent IP connections, as is the case for BEA WebLogic Platform SDK and BEA WebLogic SDK Professional Edition programs.
- BEA WebLogic Network Gatekeeper Standard Edition Base Platform includes a limited-use license of BEA WebLogic SIP Server. This license only allows the use of BEA WebLogic SIP Server program to access features and functions of WebLogic Network Gatekeeper Standard Edition.
- BEA WebLogic Network Gatekeeper TWS Edition Base Platform includes a limited-use license of BEA WebLogic SIP Server IMS Edition, which can only be used to access the features and functions of WebLogic Network Gatekeeper TWS Edition.
- BEA WebLogic WorkGroup Edition is limited to 20 concurrent IP connections and does not include WebLogic Server Clustering.
- BEA WebLogic Operations Control includes 5 instances of WebLogic Operations Control Managed Instance and WebLogic Operations Control Liquid VM Container.
- The BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository Professional Edition program is limited to 5 unique daily users, while BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository is limited to 10 unique daily users. Name and unique daily users cannot coexist in the same environment.
- BEA WebLogic Integration Application Integration and BEA WebLogic Integration Business to Business include a limited-use license for WebLogic Integration. This enables the use of specific features of WebLogic Integration, such as application connectivity, data transformation, messaging, and administration console. Additionally, the limited-use license of WebLogic Integration included with BEA WebLogic Integration Business to Business allows the use of B2B protocols and trading partner management.
- For programs with “BEA” in the name, CPU is defined as a processor upon which a program is installed and/or running. For multi-core processors, each additional core above the first two cores counts as 0.25 CPUs, with fractions rounded up to the next whole number.
These restrictions and limitations ensure that each BEA WebLogic Server edition caters to the specific needs of different organizations while maintaining a clear distinction between the offerings.
FAQ on BEA Weblogix
What is the main difference between the BEA WebLogic Server Advantage Edition and the Mid-Market Edition?
The Advantage Edition includes all core WebLogic Server features but doesn’t support WebLogic Server Clustering. The Mid-Market Edition, on the other hand, is limited to servers with a maximum of 2 CPUs and also does not include WebLogic Server Clustering.
Does the BEA WebLogic Server Process Edition include message brokering, human workflow, and B2B capabilities?
No, the Process Edition does not include these features.
How many concurrent IP connections are allowed for BEA WebLogic Server SDK, Platform SDK, and SDK Professional Edition programs?
All three programs have a limit of 5 concurrent IP connections.
What is the main difference between BEA WebLogic Network Gatekeeper Standard Edition and TWS Edition?
The Standard Edition includes a limited-use license for BEA WebLogic SIP Server, while the TWS Edition includes a limited-use license for the BEA WebLogic SIP Server IMS Edition.
How many concurrent IP connections are allowed for the BEA WebLogic WorkGroup Edition, and does it include WebLogic Server Clustering?
The WorkGroup Edition is limited to 20 concurrent IP connections and does not include WebLogic Server Clustering.
How many unique daily users can access BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository Professional Edition and BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository?
The Professional Edition is limited to 5 unique daily users, while the standard AquaLogic Enterprise Repository is limited to 10 unique daily users.
Can both named users and unique daily users coexist in the same environment for the BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository program?
No, you may not have named and unique daily users in your environment for this program.
How are multi-core processors counted for programs with BEA in the name?
Each additional core above the first two cores counts as 0.25 CPUs for multi-core processors, with fractions rounded to the next whole number.
Can we apply old BEA licenses to Weblogic installations?
Yes, see the formula for mapping BEA licenses to Oracle Weblogic.
Can we buy additional BEA licenses from Oracle?
No, that is no longer possible. You need to purchase Weblogic Enterprise or Standard Edition.
Need Expert help?
At Redress Compliance, we can help with Oracle Middleware Licensing Assessment Services:
- Inventory Analysis: Collect data on your current Oracle BEA installations to comprehensively understand your license consumption.
- License Mapping: Accurately map your BEA installations to the appropriate licenses, ensuring compliance with Oracle licensing policies.
- Remediation and Optimization: Identify areas for license consolidation, optimization, and potential cost savings while maintaining compliance.
- Advisory Services: Receive expert guidance on best practices for Oracle middleware licensing management, including recommendations for future growth and updates.
- Compliance Risk Mitigation: Minimize non-compliance risk and potential penalties by proactively addressing licensing gaps and discrepancies.
- License Management Support: Access ongoing support to effectively manage your Oracle middleware licenses and maintain compliance.
Ready to optimize your Bea WebLogic licensing and get expert assistance from Redress Compliance?
Contact us today to learn more and get started!